Application for 2022/2023 Gates Cambridge Scholarship Programme is opening soon!
Each year Gates Cambridge offers 80 full-cost scholarships to outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge. Approximately two-thirds of these awards will be offered to PhD students, with approximately 25 awards available in the US round and 55 available in the International round.
Read through this piece to know the full details about this award- the eligibility criteria, requirements, application deadline, and more.
About the Gates Cambridge Scholarship
Gates Cambridge Scholarship programme was established in October 2000 by a donation of US$210m from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to the University of Cambridge; this is the largest ever single donation to a UK university.
The selection criteria are:
- outstanding intellectual ability
- reasons for choice of course
- a commitment to improving the lives of others
- leadership potential
Gates Cambridge Scholarship- Eligibility
The following are the gates scholarship requirements.
- Applicants must be a citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom
- Applicants must be applying to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study at the University of Cambridge:
- One year postgraduate course
A Gates Cambridge Scholarship covers the full cost of studying at Cambridge. It also provides additional, discretionary funding.
Things To Know About Gate Cambridge Scholarship
- the University Composition Fee at the appropriate rate
- a maintenance allowance for a single student (£17,848 for 12 months at the 2021-22 rate; pro rata for courses shorter than 12 months) – for PhD scholars the award is for up to 4 years
- one economy single airfare at both the beginning and end of the course
- inbound visa costs & the cost of the Immigration Health Surcharge
The University Composition Fee varies for different types of students; applicants should see the Graduate Studies prospectus for full details about precise amounts. Where a student from the European Union has been successful in gaining a fees award from public authorities they must accept this and the Trust will not pay these fees.
The scholarship details
The scholarship includes some additional funding on a discretionary basis:
- Academic development funding – from up to £500 to up to £2,000, dependent on the length of your course, to attend conferences and courses.
- Family allowance – up to £10,120 for one child and up to £14,440 for two or more children (2021-22 rate). No funding is provided for a partner.
- Fieldwork – you may apply to keep up to your normal maintenance allowance while on fieldwork as part of your PhD (the Trust does not fund other fieldwork costs as these should be funded by the University Composition Fee).
- Maternity/Paternity funding – should you require it, you may apply to intermit your studies for up to 6 months and continue to receive your maintenance allowance during this time
- Hardship funding – for unforeseen difficulties
Gates Cambridge Scholarship Timeline
The large majority of applicants will apply in this round, which is aligned with the University’s postgraduate funding competition. The two application deadlines and they are based on the course to which you are applying.
|Applications open||Thursday 02 September 2021|
|Application deadline||Depends on your course – either 02 December 2021 or 06 January 2022 (see course direct)|
|Departmental ranking||December – February|
|All applicants notified of application outcome||February 2022|
|On-line review and selection by panels||February and March 2022|
|Scholarships offered||Late March|
|Scholarships accepted||72 hours after the offer|
The scholarship is closing on 06 January 2022 All Applicants should apply before the date.
For More Information: visit the website.