Bros you don get your own voters card?
The 2019 general election is at the corner, hoping to start as from February next year as proposed by the National Electoral Commission.
How can you select your choice of the person in this coming election? The voter’s card will give you the eligibility to participate in the decision making of election a new leader or to retain already existing one for the second tenure as experienced in Nigeria.
Without the voter’s card, citizens will not be allowed to vote in the 2019 general election, INEC is calling on every good citizen of the country who is 18 years and above to get a permanent voter’s card also called PVC.
However, this article is designed to help you know what the voter’s card is used for and why you must have it in order to participate in the casting of votes.
When is the closing date for Permanent Voter’s Card (PVC) Registration?
Although there are rumors about the certain date it will end, this is probably causing a lot of confusions to many citizens of the country.
Here’s what we have to say:
According to INEC, the registration for permanent voter’s card will end 30 days before the election as indicated in the Nigerian Constitution.
It will be a wise thing for every citizen to make proper use of time, go for the registration on time so you will get your PVC before the election as it can take weeks or even few months to get the permanent voters card.
Eligibility for Nigerian Voters Card
- Applicants of the Nigerian voters’ card must be citizens of Nigeria and must have attained the age of 18 years. Underaged registrations are illegal and would not be accepted.
- You must also be a citizen of Nigeria to apply.
- You must either reside, or work, or originate from the local government, ward or council covered by the registration center.
- Applicant must be physically present for the registration.
How to Register For Permanent Voters card In Nigeria
Citizens of Nigeria can register for PVC at the Local Government Headquarters nearest to them.
- Visit your Local Government Headquarters
- Ask for INEC office/department
- Talk to an INEC officer to obtain a form which you will fill (Your name, date of birth, address etc.)
- Observe the number written with pen or marker on the form, that’s your serial number for the registration.
Not certain about the Local Government Offices with INEC facilities? Click here to see the official list of INEC offices in your area.
INEC office is usually open from 8:00 am in the morning to 4:00 pm Mondays to Fridays.
Other Requirements for INEC Permanent Voters card
At the registration center, you are required to provide the following:
- Your state of origin
- Ten Fingerprints using the fingerprint scanner
- A capture of your face, using the webcam
- You will be asked of your address or nearest pulling unit.
Most people, who are new to this registration process, will always face the issue of identifying their pulling unit.
All the pulling units are indexed in the INEC database, to make sure it’s correct, ask someone about you’re pulling unit so as to know what to tell the INEC officers.
You will also be asked to check the data entered for you if there are all correct.
A temporal voters card which indicates successful registration and will be used for confirmation when it is time for collection of permanent voter’s card.
How To Know When My PVC is Ready
INEC will announce the availability of the permanent voter’s card using different media platforms like the radio and TV stations.
All the available permanent voter’s cards are distributed to registration centers for collection, you can also track the location of your PVC using the INEC PVC locator.
For persons asking if there’s need to get another permanent voters card, you don’t need to have it too, if you already have a permanent voters card, then no need getting another one.
Hope these PVC tips help you know what to take along with you while going for the permanent voter’s card registration.
Feel free to share your experience with us using the comment box below.